The links below provide information about pension valuations – note that since the commuted value that is provided by the plan administrator of a Manitoba regulated pension plan on marriage breakdown appears to be widely accepted as the correct value to use for property settlement, pension valuations from independent actuaries are not required to value an employer defined benefit pension in Manitoba. However, a valuation from an independent actuary may be required to value other pensions, such as foreign pensions, since the pension plan administrator of these plans will likely not provide the value of the pension (and almost certainly won’t provide the value in accordance with Manitoba family law).
- Supplemental pension plans are often overlooked
- Why should a defined benefit pension be valued by an actuary?
- Can we use the value of the pension provided by the pension plan administrator?
- Does the value of person’s pension assets need to be adjusted for income tax?
- Pension valuations frequently asked questions